Developing skills and strategies to effectively release emotional build up allows you to reset or self-regulate yourself. You can learn strategies that teach you to pause between feeling an emotion and instantly reacting to the emotion.
This process encourages you to slow down enough so you can respond to the challenge instead of reacting.
This results in a deeper awareness of self and greater emotional resilience.
The foundation of the MEGA SELF program has been based around this quote.
‘Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our ability to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. ’
– Victor Frankl
When you feel that you have encountered a challenge that provokes a stimulus (trigger or stress), your brain naturally activates the amygdala which is the part of your brain that is responsible for the fight flight response.
When you feel triggered, you tend to move very quickly into the top area of the triangle and your space between stimulus and response becomes much smaller. You can then easily step into a state of reaction.
As part of the MEGA SELF framework, learning strategies for emotional regulation, enables you to reset the stress response and find ways to calm yourself down before you act on the fight/flight triggers.
The main aim is to use a strategy to allow the initial upsurge of your emotional state to settle back into the bottom area of the triangle where you have more space between stimulus and response.
This then gives you time to restore your ability to think clearer. Ultimately you want to reinstate rational thinking and reasoning.
Read the Full Emotional Regulation Blog Here
AIM OF EMOTIONAL REGULATION AS PART OF THE MEGA SELF FRAMEWORK.
As part of the MEGA SELF framework the primary goal of learning tools to self-regulate your emotions is to –
Step out of reactive responses that might take you away from your core values and ethics.
* Learn ways to increase your space between stimulus and response.
* Support you when you are flooded with stress, anxiety, and overwhelming emotions.
* Help you build a greater self-awareness.
* Positively support you in times of change and adversity.
* Help you become more adaptable to life’s ups and down.
* Teach you tools to self soothe.
* Develop a greater emotional resilience and quality of life.
BENEFITS OF EMOTIONAL REGULATION AS PART OF THE MEGA SELF FRAMEWORK.
* Increases your short- and long-term wellbeing.
* Improve your performance at work.
* Enrich all your personal relationships.
* Support you with problem solving strategies.
* Increases your compassion and empathy.
* Helps you feel heard and supported as you can express yourself clearer.