The food we eat gives our bodies the ‘information’ or the ‘code’ needed to function properly. If we don’t provide our body with the right information, our health declines.
Our daily food choices are central to our health and us creating our MEGA SELF vision.
Food acts as medicine to maintain, prevent, and treat mental and physical disease within our body.
How does food affect our health – mentally and physically?
Nutrients in food send the cells in our body a code that allows our cells to perform their functions. The food we put into our body every day serves as a source of information for our body.
‘Nutrients are the nourishing substances in food that are essential for the growth, development and maintenance of body functions. Essential meaning that if a nutrient is not present, aspects of function and therefore human health decline. When nutrient intake does not regularly meet the nutrient needs dictated by the cell activity, the metabolic processes slow down or even stop.’
– Perspectives in Nutrition, Wardlow and Insel
As part of the MEGA SELF framework our focus on food is based in nutrition. We see food as integral to creating health and reducing physical and mental disease.
We view daily food choices as a primary way to support the body to maintain optimal function.
Free resources to get you started on your journey –
Food and Mood: Improving Mental Health Through Diet and Nutrition
A free course run by the Food and Mood centre at Deakin University that helps you explore the relationship between nutrition and brain health, why it matters, and how to work towards positive food changes.
Watch this you tube clip –
How to manage your mood with food | 8 tips
AIM OF MAKING HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES AS PART OF THE MEGA SELF FRAMEWORK.
As part of the MEGA SELF framework the primary goal of cultivating good food habits is to –
- Improve your mood so that you feel empowered to live your life in alignment to your vision.
- Increase and stabilise your energy so that you feel motivated to exercise and succeed.
- Help maintain a calmer state of mind so it’s easier to be in the bottom area of the triangle.
- Improve your gut health and reduce inflammation.
- Reduce your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, type 2 diabetes, and stroke.
- Improve your overall quality of life.
- Improve your memory, brain health, and maintain cognition.